NDC project supports Rwanda’s efforts in implementing Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC). Rwanda submitted its updated NDC to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in May 2020. This project focuses on strengthening the national capacity for coordination and resource mobilization as well as on providing a mechanism for tracking progress and enhancing transparency of NDC implementation across eleven sectors of NDC focus. These sectors are agriculture, forestry, water resources, land-use, disaster management, renewable energy, off-grid electrification, transport, industry, and waste and Health.
NDC project also supports the Government of Rwanda in conducting a deep analysis of agriculture sector to understand and identify concrete strategies to address bottlenecks facing this sector. Specifically, this project focuses on improving Rwanda’s agricultural adaptive capacity against climate risks and hazards by improving the productivity of agriculture for smallholder farmers as well as building inclusive resilience in selected value chains. In addition, this project will help agriculture sector to get a clear picture of the climate investment and related financial flows in the sector with a robust resource mobilization strategy and to increase the private sector investment
The overall objective of this project is to deepen Rwanda’s efforts to accelerate NDC implementation by strengthening national capacity for coordination and resource mobilization and building an inclusive climate resilient agriculture.
NDC project has three outputs:
Output 1: Coordination capacities of NDC sectors enhanced to optimize actions that reduce Green House Gases (GHG) emissions, reduce vulnerability, enhance adaptive capacity and build climate resilience
1. Strengthen the capacity of the MoE and other NDC sectors through training/workshops/coaching and shadowing to develop and implement cross-sector NDC priority actions through a whole of society approach;
2. Organize regular coordination, information exchange and review meetings among partners and sectors for leveraging and mobilizing their respective advantages in support of the Partnership Plan;
3. Collect and disseminate good practices (success stories) and challenges resulting from NDC implementation;
4. Conduct advocacy campaigns and high-level policy dialogues on high-impact strategic issues such as carbon pricing, climate risk disclosures, and climate risk screening;
5. Conduct a gender gap analysis in 3 key NDC sectors; develop a gender mainstreaming strategy for these sectors and facilitate its implementation
Output 2: Transparency systems strengthened to track NDC implementation
1. Undertake inventory of current actions that are contributing to NDC targets;
2. Strengthen the RBM&E system through the integration of NDC, SDG and gender related indicators and other MRV data.
3. Support MINECOFIN to establish a tracking system for climate finance flows from all sources to ensure consistent NDC budget statements and NDC sustainable financing;
4. Support participation of MoE, MINECOFIN and priority NDC sectors in international transparency and reporting meetings for experience sharing and learning.
Output 3: Inclusive sectoral transformation (Deep Dive) accelerated
Output 3.1. Inclusive Sectoral Transformation Roadmap Defined and NDC Finance Strategy Elaborated for the agriculture sector
1. Conduct a situational analysis of low carbon, climate resilient actions in the agriculture sector that contribute to NDC targets and identify existing gaps;
2. Develop a roadmap for the transition to low carbon and climate resilient agriculture in Rwanda;
3. Conduct analysis of climate investment and financial flows in agriculture sector;
4. Provide Technical Assistance to support in resource mobilization for low carbon, climate resilient and gender sensitive projects to improve the productivity of smallholder farmers and accelerate NDC implementation in other sectors;
5. Develop and implement a resource mobilization strategy and framework for agricultural climate resilient projects including adaptation and mitigation measures;
6. Conduct environment/climate change and gender targeted trainings/mentoring and coaching to build capacities to identify and design bankable agricultural climate resilient NDC related projects and to address critical barriers to finance.
3.2. Enabling Environment established for Private and Public-Sector Investment Mobilization
1. Provide technical assistance to MINAGRI to oversee NDC implementation across agriculture sector;
2. Conduct risk mapping and develop mitigation measures to orient private investment opportunities in climate resilient agriculture and piloting best practices;
3. Implement gender mainstreaming strategy for climate resilience agriculture sector and address bottlenecks already identified in the sector.